Monday, August 31, 2009

Search for a Guru

I have to share another section of my current read with you, We are now in India.
"the yogis, however, say that human discontentment is a simple case of mistaken identity. We're miserable because we think that we are mere individuals, alone with our fears and flaws and resentments and mortality. We wrongly believe that our limited little egos constitute our whole entire nature we have failed to recognise our deeper divine character. We don't realise that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme Self who is eternally at peace. That supreme Self is our true identity, universal and divine. Before you realise this truth, say the Yogis, you will always be in despair, a notion nicely expressed in this exasperated line from the Greek stoic philosopher Epictetus: "you bear God within you, poor wretch, and know it not." "

This passage and the current situation in the book got me thinking about the benefits of a Guru someone to teach you how to get in touch with your "divine self" I started thinking about
whether everyone should look into this, in the book the Ashram is full of Hindu, Buddhist and Christian and it got me thinking about this notion of needing to find my divine self, then I read the above quote and I was struck by the overwhelming feeling of comfort, I have my guru and I know that I possess the love of a Divine self, for I have Jesus. He is the divine character that teaches me to live and who is eternally at peace, now I just have to work on being eternally at peace myself.

As for the Philosopher's quote, is he a "poor wretch" because he has God within him or because he doesn't know it?
Excerpt from "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert
Image via Audrey Hepburn Complex

No comments:

Post a Comment